The Journey

Invitation to a Journey ~ A Road Map to Spiritual Formation
M. Robert Mulholland & Ruth Haley Barton
plus
Notes and writings on Spiritual Formation from the
Institute for Spiritual Formation, Biola University

Lesson 9—For the Sake of Others

Opening Prayer
Gracious God, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, deliver me, I pray, from the easy habit of thinking that my spirituality is something between you and me alone.  It is so difficult to accept the idea that my spiritual wholeness cannot be attained outside of my life with others.  Help me to open my heart and spirit to what you want to say to me in this chapter.  Help me to commit my relationships to you, that they may become channels of your grace in my life and that I may become a channel of your grace for others.
Robert Mulholland

Thoughts from last time?
Any lingering thoughts from last time?   
What did the Lord show you about what’s hiding in your heart?  Did any of those “vices” have something on the flip side?

1.  For the Sake of Others
What comes to mind when you think about “for the sake of others”?

Mulholland says that we are not meant to be “trophies of grace” in heaven.  What does he mean?

Mark 12:30-31
Romans 13:9-10
I Cor 13
Galatians 5:14
Ephesians 4:15-16, 5:2
Colossians 3:14
I Thessalonians4:9-10
James 2:8
1  Peter 1:22; 4:8
I John 3:10-14; 17-18; 23; 4:7-8, 11-12, 19-21
2.  Being Like Christ
What IS the image of Christ—the image we are being formed into…
Why did He come?

We can’t have wholeness without becoming “for others”.

If we aren’t in the business of being in this with others, Mulholland says we have “some kind of pathological formation that is privatized and individualized, a spiritualized form of self-actualization.”  
Why is this attractive?

3. For others? Or for myself?
Think of the vices you wrote on your cards last week.  Were those stand-alone issues, or were they in relationship to God and others?

These  places in our lives are where we are UNlike Christ—where we have our own agenda and are not yielded to the Spirit.  We become controlling.

How does “for the sake of others” manifest in the flesh vs. the Spirit?

4.  A Litmus Test for Spiritual Growth
Examine the quality and nature of your relationships with others.
Are you more caring, patient, giving, compassionate than you were a year ago?

The holisitic process of being formed in the image of Christ was designed to happen in the midst of others.  We don’t have a training ground apart from that.

Our relationships with others are not secondary to our relationship with God, but fully joined together.
“Every relationship has the potential of becoming the place of transforming encounter with God.”  Mulholland

5.  The Rescue Society
What does this sound like in your experience?



Brother, Sister, Let Me Serve You
Richard Gillard

1. Brother, sister, let me serve you;
let me be as Christ to you;

pray that I may have the grace to
let you be my servant too.



2. We are pilgrims on a journey,
and companions on the road;

we are here to help each other
walk the mile and bear the load.



3. I will hold the Christlight for you
in the nighttime of your fear;

I will hold my hand out to you,
speak the peace you long to hear.



4. I will weep when you are weeping;
when you laugh I'll laugh with you;

I will share your joy and sorrow,
till we've seen this journey through.



5. When we sing to God in heaven,
we shall find such harmony,

born of all we've known together
of Christ's love and agony.



6. Brother, sister, let me serve you;
let me be as Christ to you;

pray that I may have the grace to
let you be my servant too.





You can share our lessons with others who can’t be here in person by referring them to http://christian-transformationblog.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beneath the Cross of Jesus...

The Journey